Do you want to know the secrets to affordable greenhouse maintenance? If your answer to this question is yes, then this is your lucky day because we will be discussing all the best greenhouse maintenance tips that you need to know!
After reading this, we assure you that you will be more than ready to grow all the plants you have always wanted. But before we go further, it is important to understand first the benefits of having a greenhouse.
Now that we know the benefits of having your own greenhouse, it is time to answer some of the questions that you might have in mind:
Table of Contents
- 1 How much does it cost to maintain a greenhouse?
- 2 How hard is it to maintain a greenhouse?
- 3 How to maintain a constant temperature in a greenhouse?
- 4 How to maintain humidity in a greenhouse?
- 5 How to maintain a greenhouse in winter?
- 6 Other affordable greenhouse maintenance tips:
How much does it cost to maintain a greenhouse?
This will, of course, depend on many factors. Just like what we have mentioned earlier, greenhouses come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Therefore, maintaining it will vary from one garden to another. But don’t worry because we will be listing the most economical greenhouse maintenance tips later to make sure that you do not end up emptying your wallet.
How hard is it to maintain a greenhouse?
Just like in any other hobby, being a newbie may be a big factor on whether you will find something hard or not. One thing we can assure you is that once you have already mastered all the tips that we will be providing here in this guide to greenhouse maintenance, then maintaining it will be very easy.
How to maintain a constant temperature in a greenhouse?
Maintaining a constant temperature is one of the most important factors to ensure good greenhouse maintenance. To achieve this, you can:
- Use monitoring systems that are readily available for purchase. Some systems will not only monitor the temperature inside the greenhouse, they can even check the acidity and moisture of your soil, which are essential.
- A cooling system that you may want to consider is the evaporative cooling type. This is popular because it uses water to cool the air inside. As we all know, most plants thrive in a humid and moist environment, making this a perfect choice if you want to keep the temperature constant. Having a great cooling system is part of our best affordable greenhouse maintenance tips.
- Another important thing to consider is the ventilation. Since greenhouses naturally trap heat from the sun, the temperature can go up drastically. You can avoid this by having great ventilation. If opening the door or vents is not enough, then you may want to consider installing an air conditioning unit.
- Lights also play a huge role in maintaining a constant temperature. This is especially important if you are growing plants that are not in season. Aside from lights, you can also purchase heaters. Some are automatically regulated so they are basically hassle-free. So, the next time someone asks you the question, how to maintain temperature in a greenhouse, make sure to include lights and heaters.
How to maintain humidity in a greenhouse?
It does not matter whether your question is how to maintain a mini greenhouse or how to maintain a portable greenhouse; it all comes down to humidity.
To help you, here are some things that you need to remember:
- Never apply too much water on your plants. If there are puddles of water, the tendency is for the humidity to increase. It will also help if you will apply water directly to the soil and not to the leaves in order to decrease evaporation.
- You may also look into anti-dripping linings. If there are water drips, move the plants that are located in the drip line.
- Maintaining proper ventilation is another cardinal rule when it comes to best budget greenhouse maintenance. If possible, install air flow fans to help improve circulation. It is also a great idea to have a lot of vents around your greenhouse.
How to maintain a greenhouse in winter?
If you do not like the idea of high-end heating systems, then here are top greenhouse maintenance tips that are budget-friendly.
- Make use of bubble wraps. There are horticulture bubble wraps that are available in garden stores and centers. Just keep in mind that the larger the bubble, the more light can come through.
- Don’t forget to use a thermostat. This is part of the best value greenhouse maintenance tips that you need to keep in mind. If you heater has a thermostat already, then that's better, since you can set the heater on only when necessary.
- A reliable thermometer will also help a lot. By always checking it, you will have an idea whether a heater is needed or not. As a result, you will be able to save money and resources. Smart, right?
- If you already have a heater, make sure that it is placed correctly, where it will worked most efficiently. As one of the rules in budget greenhouse maintenance, electric fan heaters are best placed in an open spot in your greenhouse. As much as possible, it situated in the center.
- If you have a big greenhouse, it can really be expensive to heat the whole area. To remedy this, you can partition the greenhouse into smaller areas so that you can just choose what divisions to heat.
Other affordable greenhouse maintenance tips:
You can check this video for a list of garden pests that you need to know.
So, there you have it! We just provided you with the simplest and probably the best affordable greenhouse maintenance guide that you can have. Are you now more excited to maintain your greenhouse?
Hopefully, you will be able to use this in making sure that not only you are successful in growing your plants, but most importantly, the hobby and passion that you have for gardening will be a more fun and exciting activity for you.
Once again, it may not be an easy task at first, but once you know the ins and outs of best cheap greenhouse maintenance strategies, everything will be easier.
Happy gardening everyone and see you on our next informative article!